Removing scratches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Removing scratches

Post  xuaeenr on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi Loopers!

I'd like to ask your help how to remove small, shallow scratches on our GL. Thanks!

Feel free to name any recommended products!

xuaeenr

Back to top Go down

Re: Removing scratches

Post  eggy_reyes on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 pm

step 1: clean area with soap and water then dry thoroughly

step 2: apply Rubbing Compound (note: rubbing compound is bad for the paint but it is the most effective scratch remover... abbrassive or matapang kasi) and rub with a dry cloth using circular motion (at may kunting diin). when you have removed the scratch you may stop. do not use in excess as your paint will be damaged. it will also dull the paint!!

step 3: clean area again with soap and water then dry thoroughly

step 4: wax!!!! wax and wax until you restore the shine. rubbing compound will remove the shine kasi.

if manipis at mababaw lang talaga yung scratch, persistent waxing on the area might do the trick na... wag na mag rubbing compound. Smile

for rubbing compound i just use turtle wax (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,13). to restore the shine i use Mother's Reflections Car wax and then Mother's Reflections Top Coat (http://www.mothersreflections.com/)

Last edited by eggy_reyes on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  xuaeenr on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 pm

What's the difference between Scratch Out and rubbing compound? is this the same?

xuaeenr

Back to top Go down

Post  eggy_reyes on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:17 pm

sorry not familiar with Scratch Out

corrected my post above.... if manipis at mababaw lang talaga yung scratch, persistent waxing on the area might do the trick na... wag na mag rubbing compound. Smile

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  steel pulse on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:18 pm

in my experience

is not as good as

Wink
steel pulse

Back to top Go down

Post  EuroFD on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 pm

In removing small scratches and swirl marks, it's best to follow the rule of increasing abrasiveness. Use mild scratch removal products first, then gradually stepping up to more aggressive or more abrasive products until you remove the scratches.

In my experience, these are good scratch removing products in order of intensity (least to most aggressive) : Meguiar's Step 1, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, 3M Scratch Remover.
EuroFD

Back to top Go down

Post  xuaeenr on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:37 pm

In removing scratches, is this done all in one effort or try or better if you do this several times? I tried removing one scratch with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound pero nag improve lang ng konti.

xuaeenr

Back to top Go down

Post  eggy_reyes on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 am

xuaeenr wrote:In removing scratches, is this done all in one effort or try or better if you do this several times? I tried removing one scratch with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound pero nag improve lang ng konti.

you may try it again with caution. di mo lang siguro na"rub" ng husto. actually the post of EuroFD makes alot of sense to me.

eggy_reyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Lydemer on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:27 pm

xuaeenr wrote:In removing scratches, is this done all in one effort or try or better if you do this several times? I tried removing one scratch with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound pero nag improve lang ng konti.

It depends on how deep the scratch is. If its deep enough, meaning it went beyond the clear coating and scratched the paint, then the best option is to have the panel painted. A technique I use is to feel the scratch first before making any hasty decisions on how to fix it. If you can really feel it then its a deep scratch which will require painting to fix otherwise there is still hope to remove it by using rubbing compound to polish the scratched area, deep enough to remove the scratch. However doing this procedure thins your clear coating so better be careful when doing it yourself. If you remove the clear coating and reach the paint area then its off to the paint shop for you. For peace of mind better seek professional help. Smile
Lydemer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top